Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Creative Space


I've been knitting this slouchy beanie since Bali in January. Knitting in humidity felt more like an arm wrestle at times, so I didn't get very far.

It has sat virtually untouched since then, and I don't have high hopes for it to turn out like the pattern since I am not using the correct size needles and I have no idea what weight this home-spun wool by Granny is. I should have knit a gauge square I suppose, but I'm always too keen to get to the 'real' knitting. I've never knit a gauge square before but I can see their usefulness before starting a large project.

So this little project has been turned into practice for Continental Knitting. Knitters generally have a looser tension with the Continental style and you can see where I switched. It still feels more comfortable to knit the old way even though I tend to knit very tightly in the normal style and hold a lot of tension in my shoulders. I'm hoping with a bit more practice the Continental style will feel more natural and I'll be much quicker and less bunched up in the shoulders.


I do love the smaller movements and the more relaxed feel in my hands and shoulders. This is the best video on the Continental style I've found so far.



Head on over to check out other Creative Spacers.

Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment