Thursday, May 26, 2011

Little Green Man

I've written the pattern and I finally have pictures of Charlie at the Disney Extravaganza going away party we went to last month.

The beanie was a huge hit and Wee man won best costume.

Here is our L.G.M. with Snow White...

here he is with Tinkerbell...

and here is the pattern I put together with the help of this pattern and this pattern.

IMG_9490



IMG_9492

Size: 6 mo
Yarn: 100% Acrylic Little Grins Yarn in Apple, less than 2 x 50 g balls (it doesn't say what ply but according to the info sleeve a 10cm knitted gauge square on 4.5mm needles is 19 stitches by 25 rows)
Hooks: I used a 3.5 mm for the antenna and the top part of the hat, switching to a 4 mm hook once I started on the sides for quicker progress.

Antenna & Beanie (worked from the antenna down)
Start with a magic loop. Use a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of your round and move it up to mark first stitch of the next round as you go.
Round 1            -   6 single crochet in to magic loop
Round 2            -   2 sc in each sc (for 12)
Round 3            -   *2sc in next sc, 1sc* around (for 18)
Rounds 4-6       -   sc around (for 18)
Round 7            -   *sc2tog, 1sc* around (for 12)
Round 8            -   *sc2tog, 1sc* around (for 8)
Rounds 9-27     -   sc around (for 8)
Round 28          -   *2sc in next sc, 1sc* around (for 12)
Round 29          -   *2sc in next sc, 1sc* around (for 18)
Round 30          -   *2sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc* around (for 24)
Round 31          -   *2sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc* around (for 30)
Round 32          -   *2sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc* around (for 36)
Rounds 33-43   -   continue with above pattern increasing the number of sc between 2sc by 1 for each round (you can always add more rounds if your child is older/has a bigger head, mine was about 13cm across)
Rounds 44-61   -   sc around

Ear Flaps (just continue on from where the hat finished for the first one and then start the second one on the opposite side of the hat)
Row 1   -   sc 17, chain 1 turn
Row 2   -   sc2tog, sc in next 13 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 3   -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 4   -   sc2tog, sc in next 11 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 5   -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 6   -   sc2tog, sc in next 9 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 7   -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 8   -   sc2tog, sc in next 7 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 9   -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 10 -   sc2tog, sc in next 5 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 11 -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 12 -   sc2tog, sc in next 3 stitches, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 13 -   sc across, chain 1 turn
Row 14  -  sc2tog, sc in next stitch, sc2tog, chain 1 turn
Row 15  -  sc across, ch 1 turn
Row 16  -  sc2tog,
chain stitch for ties and fasten off.

Ears
Row 1   -   chain 9, chain 1 turn (for 9)
Row 2   -   sc 9, chain 1 turn (for 9)
Row 3   -   sc 9, chain 1 turn (for 9)
Row 4   -   sc 2 in next sc,sc 8 to end of row, chain 1 turn (for 10)
Row 5   -   sc 2 in next sc, sc 8 along, sc 2 in last sc, chain 1 turn (for 12)
Row 6   -   sc 2 in next sc, sc 10 along, sc 2 in last sc, chain 1 turn (for 14)
Row 7   -   sc 2 in next sc, sc 13 to end of row, chain 1 turn (for 15)
Row 8   -   sc 14 along, sc 2 in last sc, chain 1 turn (for 16)
Row 9   -   sc 2 in next sc, sc 13, sc2tog, chain 1 turn (for 16)
Row 10 -   sc 15 along, sc 2 in last sc, chain 1 turn (for 17)
Row 11 -   sc 2 in next sc, sc 12 along, sc2tog, sc2tog, chain 1 turn (for 16)
Row 12 -   sc2tog, sc 13 along, 2sc in last sc, fasten off.
sew ears on to beanie.

Stuff antenna tightly with hobbyfill so it will stand erect, and glue goggely eyes on front in an arc.

I hope that all makes sense. This is my first go at writing a pattern so if you've got any useful feedback please let me know. I'd love to see any photos if anybody makes one, they are serious cute overload when they are being worn.

Mx


11 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Congrats on the win.
    I LOVE the hat and your boy is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this cute hat today. I did modify it a bit though, made it smaller for my little guy who's due October 2nd, so hopefully he can wear it for Halloween, I made real eyes instead of using the googly eyes since I didn't have any, and I didn't have enough yarn to make the ear flaps, so I just left them off. I may add them to it later on when I get more yarn though. Thank you so much for sharing! I love this hat so much!

    Lauren

    Here's the picture, sorry it was taken with a cell phone camera, so it's not the best quality.
    http://tinypic.com/r/261oz1k/7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I miss you guys! love the close ups of the hat! Hx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for showing me Lauren :) good luck with it all in October!
    I tried to comment back to you through your Aol but it said... No identity page for opaque identifiers, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god margs so cute!!! He is so adorable. And you are amazing!! Such patience i could never sit and crochet like that i admire your work so much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this, want to make it for my son, but don't see the pattern for he antenna, please help :( lol. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, you start the beanie at the top of the antenna (the antenna is row 1 to 27). I will change the heading so it is more clear. Thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh i see it now, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I just want to say "Thank You" for the Beautiful Hat Pattern. My 8 yrs old Grandson wanted me to make him an Alien Hat and I came across your picture with your little Sweetheart wearing just what I was looking for. I Appreciate your Love of Crochet.

    ReplyDelete